The holiday season is a time of year cherished by most, but this season can be difficult because of financial reasons and the overwhelming pressure to buy the perfect gift. According to a Huffington Post article, 1/3 of Americans feel the need to spend more than they can afford and 1 in 5 say that because of this they will pay one or more bills late this year. Don’t let the holiday financial blues get you down, there are ways to handle the holiday money gloom and not break the bank. Check out some of these tips for dealing with financial stress along with some quick, easy & cheap holiday gift ideas under $20 to keep you under budget.
- Try to avoid stressful shopping situations says S. News & World Report, if you can shop early, do so, as well as try shopping when you know crowds are small like early in the morning when the store has just opened.
- Set a per person spending limit – At the holidays people tend to think about the total amount they want to spend for Christmas, but once you have a total in mind break it down to how much you want to spend on each person. The more organized you are, the more likely you are to be aware of what you are spending and will stick to that number.
- Pick a day to get all your shopping done and have a list – Consolidating all of your shopping into one day and being organized about it will help you tremendously in finding everything you need at one time so you can beat the rush of shoppers, say Yahoo Finance. As we discussed in our last blog “Best Times to Buy Christmas Gift” an ideal day to get all your shopping done is between December 16-18.
- Scope out specific items you want ahead of time says S. News & World Report. If there is an item you know you want, in the months or weeks leading up to Christmas keep an eye on the price on certain websites or in-store. That way when sale times come around you can know if they are on sale for a better deal and snag it.
- Handmade gifts are always a hit. Gifts that are creative and handmade are always much more meaningful. Making gifts can be cheap and fun for the person you are giving it to as well as for fun for you. Crafting is a great stress relief for a lot of people, so handmade gift might be the way to go this holiday season in order to keep your sanity.
- Use coupons and promo codes when you shop – This one is pretty self-explanatory. Around the holidays stores offer lots of coupons and discount options. To de-stress and have a little fun while shopping, challenge yourself or your friends to see who can get the biggest discounts. You’re saving money, getting the gifts you need and having fun while doing it.
Check out some of our favorite gifts under $20 that are sure to please anyone on your list this year:
- Gift card for movie tickets
- Phone Accessories
- Fuzzy socks
- Alcohol with a nice cup/glass
- Anything monogrammed
- Jewelry box
- A good book
- Scarves & Hats
- A journal
Don’t bust your budget this year by spending more than you have to. With these tips and gifts ideas, you can make everyone on your list happy and enjoy the season instead of worrying about finances.